Posts for tag: sports dentistry
We have learned that an important part of oral health is education — but more importantly, making it fun to learn so that you retain (and apply) what you learn! For this reason, we have put together the following self-test so that you can quickly access your knowledge on the subject of mouthguards.
- The first sport to use (and require) protective mouthguards was:
- ice hockey
- Research conducted by the American Dental Association (ADA) found that individuals are ___ times more likely to damage their teeth when not wearing a mouthguard while engaged in contact sports or rigorous physical exercise.
- As a rule of thumb, females do not require mouthguards because they are not as physically active as their male counterparts.
- The American Academy of General Dentistry (AAGD) reports that mouthguards prevent more than ______ injuries to the mouth and/or teeth each year.
- Which of the following sports or activities does the ADA recommend that participants wear protective mouthguards:
- all of the above
- The US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that more than ______ sports-related injuries end-up in the emergency room each year with injury or damage to the teeth and mouth.
- Over-the-counter mouthguards are just as effective as professionally made mouthguards.
- In addition to the trauma of having a tooth (or teeth) knocked out, individuals who have suffered from this type of injury may end up spending ______ per tooth over a lifetime for teeth that are not properly preserved and replanted according to the National Youth Sports Foundation for Safety.
- $10,000 to $20,000
- $15,000 to $25,000
- $25,000 to $35,000
- Less than $10,000
Answers: 1) b, 2) d, 3) b, 4) a, 5) d, 6) c, 7) b, 8) a
You can learn more about the importance of mouthguards when you continue reading the Dear Doctor magazine article “Athletic Mouthguards.” And if you have already experienced a dental injury, it may not be too late. However, we need to evaluate the damage so that we can establish a plan for restoring optimal oral health. Contact us today to learn more about protecting your mouth and teeth or to schedule an appointment.